Many businesses honor the service of our nation’s veterans by offering various discounts on Veterans Day. From free meals to discounts on clothes, businesses of every kind are saying, “thank you.”
To take advantage of these discounts, you will likely need to show proof that you served in the military. That proof might include a Department of Veterans Affairs identification card, a DD-214, a membership card for a veterans service organization, or a photo of you wearing your military uniform. Also, make sure that the location of any national chain that you plan to visit is participating in the promotion.
Here’s a listing of Veterans Day discount you may want to take advantage of:
- Applebee’s is offering veterans and active duty military a free meal from a limited menu on Nov. 11.
- Chilis is offering veterans and active duty military a free entrée from a limited menu on Nov. 11.
- Cracker Barrel is offering veterans a complimentary double chocolate fudge Coca Cola cake during lunch and dinner.
- Denny’s is offering a free “Build Your Own Grand Slam” to veterans and active military personnel, from 5 a.m. to noon on Nov. 11. Call ahead to find out what documentation you need to bring.
- Firestone Complete Auto Care is offering veterans and active duty personnel an additional 10 percent off the lowest advertised price of any automotive service.
- Golden Corral is offering a free dinner buffet meal with beverage from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Nov. 11 to anyone who is serving or has served in the military, including the Guard and reserves. In addition, the restaurants will help raise funds for the Disabled American Veterans; state and local DAV representatives will be at all restaurants coordinating the collection of donations from customers.
- Meineke Car Care Centers will provide veterans a free basic oil change on Nov. 11 at all participating centers.
- Olive Garden is offering a free entrée Nov. 11, from a special menu of five of Olive Garden’s most popular items, served with unlimited soup or salad, and breadsticks. Those dining with the active-duty member or veteran receive 10 percent off their meal. Olive Garden will ask for proof of service.
- Red Roof Inn is offering veterans a 15 percent discount off stays through the month of November.
- TGI Fridays is offering active duty and veterans a free lunch at participating locations from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Nov. 11, with a valid military ID. Check with your local TGI Fridays to make sure it is participating, and what document you need if you’re a veteran without a military ID. The chain has designated a variety of menu items — specific burgers, sandwiches, salads, and lunch combinations — that will be included in the free lunch offer. Beverages and add-ons are not included.
- Western Union is offering fee-free U.S. domestic money transfers for all customers, including transfers to and from U.S. military bases around the world where Western Union has a retail agent location, on Nov. 11. The offer is available only at retail locations, not online. Customers using the promo code “HERO” will have the normal transaction fee waived. There is no limit, and no dollar-amount limit, to the number of fee-free transactions that can be made on Nov.
- 9/11 MemorIal Museum will give veterans free museum admission from Nov. 7-11,
For a complete list of Veterans Day discount, click here.