I lost my discharge information in a fire. I am looking for employment and need verification of my military service. How can I obtain a copy of my military discharge certificate (DD 214)?


To request  a copy of your DD 214, you will need to contact the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis, Missouri. Veterans can complete the request process online. This process is relatively simple and straightforward. If you complete the process online, however, you must still print out and sign a signature verification, and mail or fax the verification, because federal law requires a signature on all records requests.

If you are unable to use the online portal, you can contact your local VA Regional Office at (800) 827-1000 and request SF Form 180 (Request Pertaining to Military Records). Make sure to mail the form to the correct address based on your branch of military service. The addresses are listed on the form.

Please feel free to browse our extensive VetsFirst Knowledge Books for answers to other questions. If you are unable to find an answer to your question, you can submit your question directly to a VetsFirst counselor.