Under the right conditions the Department of Veterans Affairs can provide assistance in the purchase of a vehicle and adaptive equipment for the vehicle. This is most often done by means of two separate grants, the VA Automobile Grant and the VA Automobile Adaptive Equipment special benefit.
Eligible veterans may receive a one-time Automobile Grant payment of not more than $20,577.18, beginning 10-01-17, toward the purchase of an automobile or other conveyance if you have certain service-connected disabilities. The grant is paid directly to the seller of the automobile and the Servicemember or Veteran may only receive the automobile grant once in his/her lifetime.
Certain Servicemembers and Veterans may also be eligible for adaptive equipment for their vehicles. The Automobile Adaptive Equipment (AAE) program permits physically challenged persons to enter, exit, and/or operate a motor vehicle or other conveyance.
Veterans are trained, through the VA Driver’s Rehabilitation Program to safely operate their vehicles. The VA also provides necessary equipment such as platform wheelchair lifts, UVLs (under vehicle lifts), power door openers, lowered floors/raised roofs, raised doors, hand controls, left foot gas pedals, reduced effort and zero effort steering and braking, and digital driving systems.
Additionally, VA’s program provides reimbursements for standard equipment including, but not limited to, power steering, power brakes, power windows, power seats, and other special equipment necessary for the safe operation of an approved vehicle.
Eligibility: (Eligible service-connected Veterans who are non-drivers are not eligible for reimbursement for operational equipment)
- Veterans service-connected for the loss, or loss of use of one or both feet or hands, or service-connected ankylosis of one or both knees or hips.
- Veterans service-connected for permanent impairment of vision of both eyes that have a central acuity of 20/200.
- Non service-connected Veterans are eligible for equipment/modifications that will allow ingress and egress from a vehicle only.
Required Documentation to VBA
The following must be submitted to the VBA:
- Completed VAF 10-1394, “Application for Adaptive Equipment”
- Copy of valid driver’s license
- Bill of sale, invoice, lease agreement or registration form
- Window sticker
- Proof of ownership (vehicle title)
- Proof of release or disposal of a previously-owned vehicle
You must have prior VA approval before purchasing an automobile or adaptive equipment.