VetsFirst Q&A

You are here ://VetsFirst Q&A

Do VA Survivor Benefits End When You Remarry & What Happens If The New Marriage Ends?

December 29th, 2016|VetsFirst Q&A|

You can reestablish your eligibility for VA survivor benefits. Regarding Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC), a remarried surviving spouse whose subsequent marriage is annulled or declared void can reestablish eligibility as a surviving spouse. However, effective September 30, 1998, [...]

Is there a program in which the Department of Education will discharge your federal student loans?

October 12th, 2016|VetsFirst Q&A|

Yes, all three of the federal student loan programs allow you to discharge your federal student loans in the case of  total and permanent disability. If you are a 100% total and permanently disabled veteran (100% T&P) rated by [...]

Can a veteran that is homeless get dental care through the VA?

October 12th, 2016|VetsFirst Q&A|

Yes, a homeless veteran can receive VA dental care on a limited basis. Under VA’s Outpatient Dental Program, outpatient dental services and treatment considered medically necessary are provided to certain homeless and other enrolled Veterans. These limited dental benefits [...]

Can I obtain life insurance through the VA after I separate from the military?

September 12th, 2016|VetsFirst Q&A|

VA provides Veterans, Servicemembers, and their families with $1.3 trillion in insurance coverage each year. VA also offers a variety of life insurance options.

Is there a process in which I can get my claim processed faster through the VA?

September 12th, 2016|VetsFirst Q&A|

Yes, the Fully Developed Claims (FDC) program is an optional initiative that offers Veterans and survivors faster decisions from VA on compensation, pension, and survivor benefit claims.

I served at Camp Lejeune in 1981; can I get VA healthcare for contaminated water exposure?

August 2nd, 2016|VetsFirst Q&A|

You may be eligible for VA health benefits if you served on active duty (Veterans) or resided (family members) at Camp Lejeune for 30 days or more between August 1, 1953 and December 31, 1987: Veterans who are determined to be eligible will be able to receive VA health care.

I have been appointed as my spouse’s Power of Attorney. Can I gain access to his VA Compensation/Pension payments?

August 2nd, 2016|VetsFirst Q&A|

Yes, under what is called the VA’s Fiduciary Program. The VA's Fiduciary Program was established to protect Veterans and other beneficiaries who, due to injury, disease, or due to age, are unable to manage their financial affairs.

How Can I Receive VA Medical Care if I Reside or Travel Abroad?

July 7th, 2016|VetsFirst Q&A|

The Foreign Medical Program is a Department of Veterans Affairs’ health care benefits program for Veterans with VA rated service-connected conditions that are residing or traveling abroad.

Can I Transfer My GI Bill Benefits To My Spouse Or Children?

June 1st, 2016|VetsFirst Q&A|

The Post-9/11 GI Bill allows Servicemembers to transfer all 36 months or some unused portion of their benefits to their spouse or dependent children.

Can VA Garnish Benefits If A Veteran Fails To Pay Copays?

June 1st, 2016|VetsFirst Q&A|

If you are currently drawing VA benefits, it is possible that your debt may be offset from your next benefit check.